Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Chevron Buffet Top

Our dining area buffet has been missing something for a while now and I have been drooling over all of the beautiful chevron projects in blogland lately. So, last night while the hubby was at softball practice, I decided to try out the chevron design on our buffet top!

Here is our green buffet, freshly cleaned, ready for business.

I printed out a stencil (my printer tried but was out of ink so I had to trace over it!) that I found online. I then cut out the skinny zigzags, this was where I was going to put the painter's tape so that in the end, the skinny zigzags would be left green. This is when I really wished I had a Silhouette that would've print and cut the stencil for me but I didn't, so i did it by hand. Also, since my printer was out of ink, I only used one stencil. Looking back, it would've been much easier if I had multiple stencils to tape down the length of the buffet to ensure that the pattern stayed straight.

 I then started to lay the tape inside of my stencil, moving the stencil across the buffet as I went.

 My first row completed! Yay! The first one was the hardest and took the longest, after that one, I cruised.

 Now with all rows complete! I paused here to make sure the tape was really sticking before I applied paint.

 I decided to use a white Acrylic paint for my chubby zigzags and I applied it with a sponge brush. Any brush would've worked, it was just all I had inside and I was too lazy to go to the garage for a different one.

 Then I started applying my first coat.

 I did a total of 3 coats, letting the paint dry some in between them.

 This was the exciting part! Peeling off the tape to see the finished result!

 Ahh! I love it! There were some small imperfections from where tape wasn't laid perfectly but you really can't tell!

 The hardest part now was waiting for it to dry to put my stuff back on it! The best part was my hubby coming home and saying "You did all this while I was gone?! It looks great!" Isn't it nice when your hard work is noticed?

This morning everything got to go back on the buffet. I was excited to see the final result!




 I also went a little paint happy and spray painted our lamp gray. It was originally off-white and it clashed with the new white stripes! I am loving the gray!

Had to show off my key plates! My mom sent them to me!! I LOVE them!

 Key plates again, each with a different design! :)
Love my Anthropologie vase on the Chevron as well. Thanks again Tay and Lauren for my vase! :)

Here are some other Chevron Projects that I love....




I love this table runner from A Thoughtful Place. I think I may make this myself!


7 comments:

  1. All this chevron art is making me want to do some of my own!
    Great job!
    ~Bec

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tape is a pain. I watch HGTV and they do these ridiculously intricate designs and they look perfect, but when I do it, blobby mess! I actually used some regular masking tape yesterday for some straight lines and it woprked perfectly...I couldn't believe it! Love the chevron...I am plottine where to use it in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your buffet turned out awesome; i would love to have you link it up at our party. I am a new follower.
    Amy
    www.SistersoftheWildWest.blogspot.com
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your chevron buffet. I recently made a chevron canvas, but I would like to do a something else now. Yours turned out really nice. I am also a new follower of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MAD SKILLZ! Love this!
    I would LOVE to have you link up to my PARTY! WHASSUP WEDNESDAY!!

    And I have a party button you can grab and put on your blog so your friends can come too:)




    *ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the piece hanging on the wall behind your buffet? It's absolutely adorable, love it!!

    ReplyDelete