Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Giving new life to old shutters...

I bought some old window shutters a few weeks ago from the flea market, 6 of them to be exact! We were buying a chair from the vendor too so he gave me a great deal! I have painted two of them and so far, I really love them!

This one has the original panes that I just cleaned up a bit. I painted it yellow and stenciled the bottom of each side. It now lives in Jordan and Blair's house. She is thinking about hanging it over her TV, but it is now adding some color to their guest bedroom.

This one had broken panes so I decided to staple in fabric as the backing and painted the shutter a khaki color. This one is the same height as the other but it is a little skinnier. I think it is adorable!

 When we had our TV mounted a year ago, the handy man we hired had the cords coming out of the wall too close to the mantle to cover up with our shelves. All of the exposed cords have been driving me nuts! I decided to use my shutter as a way to hide all of those pesky cords.


Here it is again! The same could be done with regular shutters (the full wooden ones, without panes like these have), in fact, I have a set in our bathroom that I painted bright blue to add some color (yes, sitting on top of the toilet.)

3 comments:

  1. Love the repurposing of these old shutters! They add the perfect amount of color & texture to your rooms! Simple & pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love this I have some old teak shutters In my garage and was just about to throw them out. And then I find this amazing post now I know exactly what I am going to do I love the colours you have used thank you for the post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love this I have some old teak shutters In my garage and was just about to throw them out. And then I find this amazing post now I know exactly what I am going to do I love the colours you have used thank you for the post

    ReplyDelete